Embassy of Belgium in Australia
Home Travel to Belgium Visa for Belgium Single Permit - Work Visa

Single Permit - Work Visa

Single Permit (gecombineerde vergunning / permis unique) and Work Visa (Long stay visa D)

There are 2 stages for applying for a work visa:

  1. application for single permit, and
  2. application for a long stay visa D.


Applications for a single permit have to be made by your Belgian employer at the Regional Office of Employment in Belgium for non-EU nationals or EEA nationals. (Where should your employer apply for your work permit?)

To enable your future employer to obtain a single permit, provide them with:

  • Proof of having paid the Contribution fee into the Belgian bank account.
  • A medical certificate by a doctor appointed by the Belgian Embassy. A blood test for syphilis and a chest x-ray for tuberculosis must be undertaken first, so that you can hand the results to the designated doctor. The medical document should be less than 3 months old on the date of your application. If you live 150 km or more away from a designated doctor, you can choose a different doctor. Please ask the doctor to send us a letter on the clinic’s letterhead which states your name and the doctor’s full name and signature. This letter may also be sent to us as a scanned copy by email to canberra@diplobel.fed.be. The Embassy will then need to legalise the doctor’s signature. Fee: see Consular fees
  • An original national Police Clearance from all countries you have lived in during the last year and 2 photocopies. This document has to be legalised by means of an Apostille. You can obtain the Apostille from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia / Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand. See “Obtaining Documents”.
  • Three passport photos

Your employer will send these documents along with a photocopy of the employment contract on an approved form, to the appropriate regional office.

The processing time can be weeks or months.


Once you have your single permit you can apply for your long stay visa D - work visa with this Embassy.

Please submit:

  • Your original passport valid for a period no less than 6 months. The passport must have 2 blank facing pages.
    If you hold a passport other than Australia or New Zealand, please send your visa information for Australia/ New Zealand.
  • 2 visa application forms completed, dated and signed. Your signature at the end of the form must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace (JP). The JP has to place their full name, signature and their seal underneath your signature, to indicate that they have identified you and witnessed your signature.
  • 2 photographs (passport size 3 x 4 cm).
  • Fee for visa D: see Consular fees.
  • Approval for single permit: Annexe 46/ Bijlage 46 (2 copies).
  • Approval for work from the region (2 copies).
  • Self addressed prepaid envelope (Express post with a 'signature on delivery' sticker, registered post or courier) or postage fee.

Please use the CHECKLIST.


Your visa is normally issued within 2 weeks.


If your spouse and/or children wish to join you they will need a long stay visa. (see family reunion visa). For more information for your specific situation please contact the Visa Section by email to canberra@diplobel.fed.be.