Embassy of Belgium in Australia

Schengen visa

Australian and New Zealand Citizens do not need a visa when they travel to Belgium for business or for personal travel. The stay in the Schengen area should not exceed 90 days in a 6 month period. Please note that Australian and New Zealander visitors will need to present a valid Australian or New Zealander passport (validity at least 3 months on the day they leave Belgium), proof of sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.

A Schengen visa is valid for the following 25 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.


  1. If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination. It is generally defined in terms of length and purpose of the stay (e.g. conference).
  2. If an equal amount of time is spent in two or more Schengen countries, apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry. 
  3. If Belgium or Luxembourg is not your main destination you will find information under 'Where to apply for a Schengen visa in Australia' on this website.


1. General requirements irrespective of the purpose of travel

(a) proof of residence;

(b) proof of visa status - VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online);

(c) reservation of return or round ticket, including confirmation of the booking of an organised trip including a detailed itinerary. In the case of transit: visa or other entry permit for the third country of destination; tickets for onward journey;

(d) proof of financial means in the country of residence (including recent bank statements showing movement of means over a certain period (minimum last three months);

(e) proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation (such as invitation from host). Some Member States may require that proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation is provided by means of a specific form;

(f) if married or in a partnership, provide a marriage certificate or registered partnership agreement.

2. Documents to be submitted by applicants depending on the purpose of travel:

a) Tourism or visiting family/friends

A document from the establishment providing the accommodation or any other appropriate document indicating the accommodation envisaged.

b) Business, conference, cultural, religious or political event

(i) Official invitation letter from a firm, host organisation, educational establishment or an authority to attend meetings, conferences or events, containing detailed information concerning:

- address and contacts of the inviting entity;

- name and position of the countersigning person;

- purpose and duration of stay;

- person or entity who will bear the travel and living costs (if applicable);

(ii) Documents proving the applicants employment status in the company (for example, contract, proof of social security contribution).

c) Medical treatment

(i) a certificate from a medical doctor and/or a medical institution advising that the treatment is necessary;

(ii) an official document from the receiving medical institution confirming that it can perform the specific medical treatment, an estimation of costs and an indication that the patient will be accepted accordingly;

(iii) proof of prepayment or sufficient financial means to pay for the medical treatment and related expenses.


  1. A passport or official travel document issued within the last 10 years with a validity that exceeds the end of your intended stay by at least three months. Please make sure your passport has at least 2 double spare pages to affix the visa.
    Note: if the passport or travel document is not recognized by one or more Schengen countries, it is still possible to obtain a visa. This visa will then be restricted to those Schengen countries which accept the passport or travel document.
  2. One visa application form. Please fill out the application form completely and legibly in blue or black ink.
  3. One recent passport-size photo.
  4. Visa handling fee: Consular fee. Download the Payment Options for a credit card authorisation form.
  5. Signed Language form.
  6. Proof of travel insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or urgent hospitalisation or costs incurred in the event of your death while in the Schengen area. The insurance must be valid throughout all of the Schengen countries and must cover the whole duration of your stay. The minimum cover of the insurance is EUR 30.000 (about AUD 60.000).


The application may be lodged no more than 3 months before the start of the intended travel.

The applicant is informed that submitting the abovementioned documents does not guarantee automatic issuance of the visa. The consul may always require supplementary documentation to verify if the visa application is justified.

All original documents will be returned to the applicant.

The above is a non-exhaustive list of documents. Please also see the detailed INFOSHEET.


We recommend that you apply around 2 months before your departure date. From the day your file is complete it will take 14 days or more to issue the visa. There is no express visa processing.


1. Prepare your application according to the CHECKLIST, taking into account all the information above.

2. Send your application including your passport and payment to the Embassy:

Embassy of Belgium
19 Arkana Street
Yarralumla ACT 2600

3. After verification of your application we will contact you to request further documents and/or that you phone us to make an appointment for your personal appearance for the biometric data collection at the Embassy in Canberra. It cannot be done in any other city.

4. If and when we issue the visa we will send your passport and documents back to you.

If you wish to receive further details please email: canberra@diplobel.fed.be.
The Visa Section does not answer questions by telephone.