Embassy of Belgium in Australia

Internship Visa


Do you need a Temporary Residency Visa?

A citizen of Australia, New Zealand or of any country other than a Member State of the European Union who intends to reside in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days, or for a succession of periods totalling more than 90 days per 6 months, must first obtain a temporary residency visa whatever the purpose of the stay.

When the applicant seeks to engage in an internship, the required residency visa can only be issued upon the presentation of the proper supporting documents.

In most cases the employer mails the work permit to the intern, who then contacts the Belgian Embassy in Canberra for the temporary residency visa. For some particular types of internships a work permit is not required. We shall let you know whether your case fall within that category. See also note below.

Please request your intern visa at least three weeks prior to your intended departure date. The normal processing time for this type of visa is one week. For nationals of countries other than Australia and New-Zealand the processing time may be considerably longer.

Please note that if your internship is exempt from the work permit, the processing time is between 6 and 8 weeks.

How to apply:

Please submit the following:

1. A valid national passport (validity 15 months preferably).

2. Two visa application forms * and two recent passport-size photographs.

3. Visa application fee: see Consular fees under Visas D: ASP

4. Pre-paid self-addressed return envelope or payment for postage.

5. The valid work permit (and two photocopies of this document). This document is applied for and must be obtained by the employer in Belgium at the appropriate regional government office before the prospective intern enters Belgium. It is then mailed to the intern in question. If you belong to a category of interns who are exempted from work permit you have to submit other documents instead of the work permit. See below under.

NOTE: Please note that interns at international organizations in Belgium are exempted from work permit as long as the internship does not exceed 12 months. An internship contract should be submitted (see item 6).

Include three sets of the following documents (one original set of documents and two copies) collated and stapled: The originals will be returned to you together with your passport and visa. You will need them to register at city hall in Belgium.

6. National police clearance with fingerprints procedure covering the last 5 years. This document has to be approved by the Belgian Embassy. This document has to be legalised by means of an Apostille. You can obtain the Apostille from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia / Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand. See “Obtaining Documents”.

7. An original medical certificate, signed by a designated doctor. See list of designated doctors. A blood test for syphilis and a chest x-ray for tuberculosis must be undertaken first, so that you can hand the results to the designated doctor

If you live 150 km or more away from a designated doctor, you can choose a different doctor. Please let us have his name and address along with his telephone and fax number or his email address. If you do not visit a recognised doctor, the Embassy will need to legalise the medical certificate. Fee: see Consular fees document.

8. An internship contract issued by the employer confirming that the intern receives financial renumeration (amount specified) or that the internship is not remunerated. In the latter case, please submit a financial support declaration, signed by the applicant’s parents or sponsor, guaranteeing payment of travel, living, educational, medical and repatriation expenses. If the signature is notarised by a Notary Public, an apostille needs to be appended by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. The sponsor may also sign the document in person at the the Embassy. Fee: see payment options.

*Personal appearance is required.

If you cannot make a personal appearance and you have to send your application by mail, the following requirements apply:
(1) your signature on the application form must be witnessed by either a Notary Public or a Justice of the Peace.
(2) do not send your form and documents to an Honorary Consul, only to the Embassy in Canberra.

After verification of your application, a personal appearance may still be required.


It is important that you register with the City Hall of your place of residence in Belgium within 8 days of your arrival. Make sure that your passport is endorsed by the immigration authorities when first entering Belgium (at airport or other border post).

The local authorities will process your registration identity document that will allow you to enter and leave the country as a legal temporary resident of Belgium.