Embassy of Belgium in Australia
Home Travel Belgium Visa Belgium Researcher Visa

Researcher Visa


Please submit:

1. Passport, valid for 15 months preferably.
If you hold a passport other than Australian or New Zealand, please send your visa information for Australia/ New Zealand.

2. Two original visa application forms, completed, dated and signed. Your signature at the end of the form must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace (JP). The JP has to place their full name, signature and their seal underneath your signature.

3. Two recent passport photographs (approximate size 3 x 4 cm).

4. Proof of having paid the Contribution fee.

5. Application fee. Fee: see Consular fees : stay visa D. See Payment Options.

Include 3 sets of the following documents (1 original set and 2 sets of photocopies). The originals will be returned to you along with your passport and visa. You will need them to register at the Town Hall in Belgium.

6. An original National Criminal History Record Check (Name check) not older than six months on the day you submit your application, delivered by the competent authority. This document has to be legalised by means of an Apostille. You can obtain the Apostille from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia / Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand. See “Obtaining Documents” in attachment. Please note that a national criminal history record is required for all students over 18 who intend to study at a non-accredited institution. In the latter case get in touch with the Embassy as conditions and delays may vary.

7. An original medical certificate. The medical certificate should be less than 3 months old on the day of your application. The medical is to be undertaken by one of the designated doctors of the Embassy. See list of designated doctors. A blood test for syphilis and a chest x-ray for tuberculosis must be undertaken first, so that you can hand the results to the designated doctor.

If you live 150 km or more away from a designated doctor, you can choose a different doctor. Please ask the doctor to send us a letter on the clinic’s letterhead which states your name and the doctor’s full name and signature. This letter may also be sent to us as a scanned copy by email to canberra@diplobel.fed.be. The Embassy will then need to legalise the doctor’s signature. Fee: see Consular fees.

8. An original host agreement from the University or the Institute of higher education.

9. A self-addressed prepaid return envelope (express, registered or courier);

Please use the CHECKLIST and put your documents in the same order.

 Please start working on your visa at least 2 months prior to your intended travel. The normal processing time for this type of visa is 2 weeks and gathering the documents is likely to take some additional time.