Professional card

How to apply for a professional card and a long stay visa D.

  1. Last updated on

Do you need to apply for a long stay visa D?

An Australian or New Zealand citizen or a national of any country other than a Member State of the European Union, Norway and Iceland who intends to reside in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days, or for a succession of periods totalling more than 90 days per 6 months, must first obtain a Long Stay Visa D.

When the applicant seeks to engage in a professional activity on an independent basis, the required residency visa can only be issued once the application for the professional card has been approved.

The professional card and visa applications are lodged at the same time. The Professional card application is forwarded to the regional authority competent for the region in which the company is officially registered. Upon receipt of approval of the professional card application from the region concerned, the Embassy can issue the visa. The applicant can then travel to Belgium and pick up his professional card in Belgium.

Application for the professional card

Please submit the following documents:

  1. Complete application for the Professional Card
  2. Submit the application and the supporting documents to VFS Global.
    • The processing of the professional card may require some time. Therefore, it is recommended to lodge your application at least 6 months prior to your intended departure date.
    • Should you need your passport in the meantime, please contact the Embassy to make arrangements.

Application for the long stay visa D (work visa)

At the same time you should submit your application for the Long Stay Visa D.

Please consult the VFS Global website for a checklist of documents to be submitted.

The approval of the Long Stay Visa D depends on the approval of your professional card.

Processing time

The processing time for the professional card is usually around 5 months. Upon approval, the visa can be issued in 2 weeks. 

If your spouse and/or children will accompany you to Belgium, please contact us by email on for information about family reunion.